July 16, 2006

The mortals wear asics

I saw The Devil Wears Prada last night. The whole fashion scene tends to gross me out, but this movie made me covet handbags and strappy heels.

Although I've never been able to wrap my head around the idea that anyone can justify spending $1,000 or more on a single designer accessory or shirt or whatever. I mean . . . a thousand dollars? Think of where you could travel with that money. Or how many meals it would buy. Or used cars. It's wild. Plus, if I actually owned something that expensive, I'd be completely paranoid about wearing it. But I guess it's no big deal if you do it all the time.

Different universe, man. I spent $90 on my biannual pair of running shoes (not on sale, gasp!) this afternoon and felt very decadent. Like buying my feet a daily Swedish massage.

Then I took a good long run in the old pair by way of farewell. If rank smelliness is an indicator of gratitude, they obviously appreciated the gesture.

No comments: