January 28, 2007

Preparedness

I lived in the Bay Area for about six years before I consciously felt any kind of earthquake. It's not that they didn't happen. I just didn't notice.

Since returning from France, I've started to tune in much more to the belly rumblings down there. We've had a handful of minor witching-hour tremblers recently—tiny enough to cause no alarm, but big enough to wake me up at night.

During those first six years, my earthquake preparation consisted of buying a couple of gallons of water and hiding them between the fridge and the kitchen wall. This time, I decided to get hardcore proactive and make myself a real earthquake kit.

There are a billion websites that teach you how, but their must-have lists tend to include stuff like wrenches, fire extinguishers, and bolt cutters. I'd have to drive around with half of OSH in my trunk.

I decided to go the practical, minimalist route instead. Some might say "lazy." OK, fine. But I have a zippy earthquake kit now (with a solar-powered radio!), and all it took was 15 minutes and my credit card.

The good but misguided people at Quake Kare advertise the kit I bought as the "deluxe fanny pack" model. After you stop laughing at that, you can laugh at the image of me keeling over backward if I ever
actually try to wear this honking thing around my waist:


I may not have a fanny deluxe enough to bear the weight of postapocalyptic survival, but at least I have a bit more peace of mind.

No comments: