October 07, 2008

Yeti sighting

On my way down to the laundry room, I crossed paths with one of my neighbors. He's in his 70s, with a gentleman's brogue, and he usually calls me Jennifer (the friend who passed this apartment along to me). Tonight, he called me Anna.

Him: "Hello, Anna. So were you watching the debate?"
Me: "Yes, I was listening to it."
Him: "McCain seems much better suited for the job, don't you agree?"
Me: [Masking incredulity with broad smile] "Well. I have to say I don't. But they both . . ." [struggling for diplomacy] ". . . made some good points."
Him: "I can practically see him in the president's chair!"
Me: [Escaping out the back door]

In this month's issue of San Francisco, we published a short piece about local McCain supporters called "The Loneliest Republicans in the World." I figured they all lived in Pac Heights, but it turns out there's one just upstairs.

2 comments:

missmobtown said...

Ouch. There goes that whole myth about age=wisdom. Oh wait, we can apply that to McCain, too!

The BCB said...

Last night at the Progressive Reading Series, one of the comedians made a lot of "McCain will look like Yoda after one term" jokes. Sort of funny, in a petrifying way.