February 18, 2006

Oops

I guess it was bound to happen eventually. I discovered since buying a Golf that they breed like bunnies around here—every other car on the road looks just like mine, including three in the parking lot at work and two on my street at home.

The saving grace is that they're not usually the same pretty color as mine: Black and grey seem to be the most popular, with blue and red tied for second place. But every so often, I see another jade green four-door, and I feel like the driver and I are bonding somehow.

Except the driver of the car I accidentally got into the other night and tried to start probably doesn't want to bond with me. What can I say? It was two cars behind where I parked mine, and obviously looked exactly the same. And after I pressed the unlock button on my key, the driver's side door opened right up.


It probably should have tipped me off when my feet seemed to have too much room (um, no clutch), but I was tired and on auto-pilot, so I put the key in the ignition. Then the alarm went off. Amazingly, I still didn't get it. "That's annoying, must have pressed the alarm button by accident," I thought, and pressed it a few more times until the alarm stopped.

Then I tried to start the car. But the key didn't really fit, and it certainly didn't turn, and then the alarm went off again. Then I looked up and saw my Golf a few yards away. Leapt out of the wrong car, got in the right car where everything worked like it was supposed to, and drove on home, looking for flashing lights in my rear-view the whole way.

Yeah, I'm college edjumacated and all, but sometimes I need to be smacked upside the head. It's just a lucky thing the stars were aligned and the other car's owner (or Mr. McOfficer) didn't come by right then.

Sorry, fellow green Golfer. Didn't mean anything by it. But you might want to try locking your doors next time.

No comments: