August 15, 2007

In the hoods

Sorry for the quiet stretch, I've been Canteening and getting mud baths in Calistoga. It's all very draining.

I've also been tied up at work revising our house style guide, which is pretty much the first task any editor does at a new gig. There are so many discretionary points in spelling and grammar—a lot more than you'd imagine—that every publication needs to get its preferences down on paper.

And since I'm chiefing these days, that makes me The Decider.
The Denizen of Style. The Grammarnator. The Comma Chameleon. They haven't given me a special hat and cape yet, but I figure it's only a matter of time.

Anyhoo, there I was working on the style guide, and it turns out there was no list of San Francisco neighborhoods for everyone in editorial to obey. So my boss and I put one together.

Here it is, including commonly used bastard hybrids (like BayCowGulch) and all the possible iterations of the biggies (Lower This, Upper That):

Bayview, Bernal Heights, the Castro, Chinatown, Civic Center, Cow Hollow, Diamond Heights, Duboce Triangle, Eureka Valley, Excelsior, Financial District, Glen Park, the Haight, Hunters Point, Ingleside, Inner Mission, Inner Richmond, Inner Sunset, Japantown, Lower Haight, Lower Fillmore, the Marina, the Mission, Mission Bay, Nob Hill, Noe Valley, NoPa, North Beach, Outer Mission, Outer Richmond, Outer Sunset, Pacific Heights, the Panhandle, Parkside, Polk Gulch, Potrero Hill, Presidio Heights, the Richmond, Russian Hill, South Beach, South of Market
(SoMa), the Sunset, Telegraph Hill, the Tenderloin, Tendernob, Twin Peaks, Union Square, Western Addition, West Portal.

Natives and transplants: If we're missing any, please let me know. There's a shiny copper penny and a big hug in it for you.

2 comments:

missmobtown said...

Don't forget Cole Valley and Haight Ashbury.

I also think of Upper Market as its own neighborhood although some folks lump it in with the Castro.

A few neighborhoods-within-neighborhoods: Ashbury Heights, Dogpatch, Lone Mountain, Anza Visa, Laurel Heights, Golden Gate Heights.

Less hip: Excelsior, Park Merced, Oceanview, Portola, Silver Terrace, Sunnyside, Treasure Island, Visitacion Valley

I think you should also include my favorite nickname for the Castro: Swish Alps. Heh.

The BCB said...

Miss Mobtown, Honorary Editor of the Month! Thanks for the schooling. I owe you a swishy beer.