April 08, 2008

Foiled, with a chance for redemption

I got up at 6:15 this morning to run. It's my usual time, but I didn't sleep that well and felt sluggish. But there's a half-marathon this weekend, so I rallied myself into some clothes. NPR said, "It's colder than you think out there," so I added a scarf and hat. The air did wake me up, at least.

Got to the gym in the wind and near-dark to discover it was locked. Weird. No sign or anything. Annoying, but it was too cold to run outside, so I went home again. Called the gym around 7 to see if they're closed this week for cleaning or another legit reason, and the front-desk guy answered. "Yeah, I was just late. We're open now."

An hour late to open your business during workout rush hour? Time to invest in some kind of newfangled alarm clock. I like my grubby little neighborhood gym, but still.

Too awake to go back to bed, I decided to fix my bathroom doorknob. The screw was loose and it seemed like tightening it would work, except it didn't. I tried a few different screwdrivers for a while, then gave up. Tossed it in my bag to take to the hardware store.

Getting off the train, I remembered I had a coupon for a free yogurt/granola cup at Jamba Juice. Maybe that's my reward for getting up early for nothing. But they must have handed out those coupons pretty liberally, because the line stretched out the door and along a full city block. Free stuff is great, but that's not worth it. I have yogurts at work.

In fact, I just had one, because I'm waiting for the second round of May bluelines to arrive. Our production office in Chicago usually posts the PDF before we get here, but two of the files we transferred late last night got lost somewhere in the server ether.

Oh yeah, and there are fruit flies invading my kitchen. Just a handful, but it's still not cool to relive 7th-grade bio class in my nice clean apartment. This guy in Kentucky says to capture them using a paper funnel and cider vinegar, so we'll see if that works.

On the upside, I have hot tea to drink and the hardware story was open early. If Safeway has cider vinegar in stock during my lunch hour, it might turn out to be a decent day.

No comments: