June 01, 2008

To the wedding

200 Brazilians + 50 Jews + a rabble of rabbis + infinite goodwill = a transcendent celebration.

The sun was shining on High Meadow when I arrived late Friday afternoon, and it never stopped.
I don't think I've ever been part of a happier group. We all gathered, an extended family, to give Josh and Vanessa the joyful, raucous launch into marriage that they deserve. Each of them inspires remarkable loyalty and love in their relationships, and I expect they'll be an unstoppable force together.

Along with feeling lucky to be part of their village, I got to catch up with my own (there's a lot of overlap). Parents and grandparents, brother, cousins, childhood friends. There's nothing quite like spending time with people who've watched you grow up, even as they're growing up themselves. They help me appreciate familiarity in tandem with constant change, and they're a powerful reminder of how kind people can be to each other.

We stayed in the same rambling house where Avi and his band of brothers have been gathering for years, down the path from the wooden building where he and Josh first apprenticed as carpenters, down the road from the farm where Josh's parents met. The place came full circle, along with the rest of us.

I put some pictures over here. I might post a photo essay about the wedding sometime, but more likely I'll just let the faces speak for themselves.


No comments: