August 21, 2008

When editors get punchy

I don't understand why even when I say it "i-boo-pro-fen," it comes out sounding like "i-bee-pro-fen," or why there's a u in there in the first place. They should officially rename it Wal-Profen and call it a day.

There's really no good reason for Emeril to design a line of clogs, or for clogs to exist at all. I guess people think they're comfortable, but so are my jammies, and nobody claims those are fashionable or fills entire store racks with them in different colors. Plus my jammies aren't made of neon plastic.

The prefix über just doesn't apply that often. And yes, it needs the umlaut. I don't care if you think it looks weird. I'm the decider.

2 comments:

missmobtown said...

I thought you were the Deçüder.

Funny you should bring this up, though. My "boyfriend" made fun of me for pronouncing the word coupon kyoopawn the other day. And then took an informal poll of our peers to shame me.

I say, own your regional pronunciation abominations, but at least get the spelling right.

The BCB said...

Amen! I've been getting grief from friends for years about how I say "horrible" (apparently, hah-ribbel). And here I thought I managed to escape with no New England accent.