December 21, 2008

File under: Slightly mystifying

I haven't been looking for much lately, just a few practical things: toothpicks, sandwich bags, and Chanukah candles. Here's how that worked out for me. Thanks, 2008!

Item:
Toothpicks

Quest:
Walgreens (4),
Safeway (2), the corner store (1)
Barriers:
Not only did none of these places have toothpicks, but the Walgreens staff actually looked bewildered when I asked. "Don't we have those? I'm sure we have those. Try aisle 7 [the dental aisle]." Hmm, not so much. There was a fancy pop-up dispenser at the second Safeway, but it only came with decorative toothpicks that had colored plastic on one end. Impractical and too expensive.
Solution: One of the zillion dollar stores in the Mission must have toothpicks. Now it's just a matter of always being at work on the other side of town when they're open.

Item: Sandwich bags
Quest:
Walgreens (4), Safeway (2)
Barriers:
Each of the Walgreens I walk past on a daily basis had a small selection of sandwich bags, but they were all too big or came with that fancy Ziploc feature. Being relatively eco-friendly, I prefer the smaller bags that just fold over. Target has them for sure, but driving 15 minutes on the highway for a $3 box of plastic bags cancels out the eco-friendly part. Also Target has this unfortunate habit of sucking all the money out of my wallet and sending me home with bulk cleaning supplies and cheap wooden DIY furniture. It's best to stay away.

Solution:
Safeway #2 came through, but it took 10 full minutes of wandering the household aisle before I finally spotted them. Hiding. On the bottom shelf.

Item:
Chanukah candles

Quest:
Safeway (3)
Barriers:
I've never had trouble finding Chanukah candles before, but this was my first time looking for them in the city. Berkeley Bowl and the Shattuck Safeway always had huge displays of Jew gear for the holidays, but grocery stores here weren't as forthcoming.

Solution:
I was ready to make a trip across the bridge when the saving grace arrived: package from Mom. Instead of waiting until tonight to open it like a good patient child, I figured it might have candles and tore in early.


Score! Happy Chanukah. I'm going to bed now, to dream of a world where errands are easy.

No comments: