May 24, 2006

What I Did On My Summer Vacation

You all know how I feel about Orlando by now, so no need to get into that again.

Let's move on to Chapel Hill, where I spent a relaxing long weekend visiting my sweet friend Kate and her family, including Lila the Wonder Baby.


There's more where that came from. No, really, I took a ridiculous number of pictures. Can you blame me? If you're as big a fan of the short set as I am, feel free to skip all the bothersome words in this post and just scroll on down for more adorableness.

In addition to being beautiful and brilliant and the future leader of the free world, Lila is a champion napper. Every couple of hours, she rubs her eyes and scowls and lets her folks know she's ready for a snack and a little rest. That seemed like a wise plan to the rest of us as well.

Rediscovery: Naps are the best. Give me more, please.

Between siestas and meals, we went for a stroll through the botanical gardens, where they breed giant chess pieces:



The designs on those particular pieces happen to have been etched by Kate's husband's ex-wife. How about that?

Across the way from the chessboard, we saw some pretty water lilies:



And a huge tree with enormous flowers, like so:


But enough with all the crap about foliage. Isn't she the cutest?


I love how she's already mastered the classic liberal look of deep, deep concern at the state of the world around her. Just wait until the next election, kiddo.

Another great college friend, Erica, drove down from Asheville to meet up with us on Sunday—giving Lila a double dose of auntie devotion:



But nothing can top the squeezes she gets from her momma:


And remember, it's never too early to train the youngsters to represent:


Oaktown in the crib, yo. Mad love to the NC.

Now where's that patch of sunshine for my next nap?

No comments: