July 09, 2008

30 till 30: Days 28 & 29

Squeaking in under the wire: 36 minutes to go until my youth is a distant memory. Spent a million hours in transit yesterday (thanks, JFK air-traffic control!), but now I'm sweating safely in my hometown, watching the summer lightning.

But this post isn't about me. It's about my mom, who just passed her certification test to become an American citizen—after living here for 36 years. For a secret peek into the inner workings of our country's bureaucracy, check out the six questions they asked in her citizenship test:

1. How many stars are there on our flag?
2. Whose rights are guaranteed by the Constitution and the Bill of Rights?
3. How many senators are there in Congress?
4. What is the most important right granted to United States citizens?
5. Who is the vice president of the United States today?
6. In what month do we vote for the president?

So how'd you do? My mom, soon to be sworn in as our newest citizen, got 100%. Then she went right out and bought an Obama sticker. I think we should all be proud.

2 comments:

Lizzo said...

ok i'm late, but HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
i have a strong feeling that you will love your thirties. mazel tov to you, lady.

The BCB said...

Thanks! If the last few days are any indication, I'll be spending my 30s full of gin and cheese. No complaints so far.