July 28, 2008

I want a new drug

It happened so fast—I finished another TV series on Netflix. There are a few nostalgic standbys in my queue (Party of Five, My So-Called Life), but really, I'm looking for a whole new thing.*

People of the Internet, please help me decide what to watch next. Some helpful guidelines:

Yes: Families, drama, escapism, intelligent rapid-fire conversation, witty banter, likable people, complicated relationships, excellent outfits that someone might actually wear
No: Homicide, crime rings, cops, laugh tracks, plucky underdog sports teams, open-heart surgery, home improvement, monsters with giant slimy jaws, Manolo Blahniks, "reality"
Acceptable: Lawyers, if there aren't too many court scenes
Best shows ever: The West Wing, Flight of the Conchords

Any ideas? My mind is waiting to be wasted. It needs you.

*
At least until they release season 4 of Weeds on DVD.

9 comments:

The Sensible Rebel said...

If you can find it, you may like a British series called "Cold Feet." Was released in South Africa as "Life, Love and Everything Else." It was on a while ago though. Talking at least 7-8 years maybe. Just a thought!

The BCB said...

I don't know if Netflix has a decent stash of international shows, but I'll look for it. Thanks!

Peej said...

Have you already seen Joss Wheedon's excellent "Firefly"? Short, but very good. A science fiction show populated by real characters and believable dialogue.

The BCB said...

Firefly is great - I've seen all but the last couple of episodes, I think. The theme song is on permanent rotation in my mental playlist.

missmobtown said...

My vote: Six Feet Under. I think it hits 7 out of 8 items in your list under "Yes". True, there are homicides, but they're all very after the fact, so should theoretically be less bothersome to you.

The BCB said...

Yes, Six Feet Under is definitely on the short list. Even though the cover shot is a little gross. Muchas gracias, mi amiga mórbida.

Amy said...

I agree with missmobtown on Six Feet Under. Also, my roommate introduced me to a British show called Green Wing that is pretty hilarious. Think Scrubs but even wackier and English (and even though it's set in a hospital I don't remember a lot of bloody stuff). We watched the whole first season on DVD and I can't get enough! You can watch some of the episodes on YouTube to get a feel for it.

The BCB said...

I think Six Feet Under is pulling into the lead, with at least four recommendations. But I'll check out the other Brit comedy also, thanks. Important to stay true to my roots!

Anonymous said...

"The Office"? - British or American version - they are both fab! No good fashion, but lots of wry humor...
Talya.